Skip to main content

For My Best Friend, Daisy

Apparently, I was a bitch to Daisy when we first met. I hear that about myself all the time. She didn't know I was just a smart ass back then, but she's definitely figured that out by now. And she loves telling this story to people we meet. She came in with her little box full of supplies which was basically a portable cubby. I guess I made a sarcastic comment about how people wouldn't use those at our store.

She didn't realize I was being sarcastic because I had the exact same box when I was a sales rep. She just looked at me like she thought I was mean but would never be mean back to me.

That's the story my best friend Daisy loves to tell people about how we met. We actually met a couple times before this happened, but I obviously didn't make a strong impression before because this is the story she remembers and that's fine with me.

I never knew it at the time, but it was the beginning of the best friendship I've ever had. After a couple of months, we started to hang out with each other here and there and bonded through alcohol and our love of Kanye and the Lakers.

It's funny when I talk about Daisy because people have always made fun of us and joked that we were gay. But looking back, we've gone through situations that couples go through which is pretty hilarious. There was the drama of people telling her to stay away from me and that I was bad news. Old friends that did not want to make room for our new friendship in their lives. I even had a couple boyfriends who were jealous of our friendship. It's all pretty fucking bizarre, but I guess they always say if you have haters, you're doing something right. I'm laughing as I type that because it sounds so ridiculous, but we definitely are doing something right. Well, I don't know if I can say I am, but I can say that Daisy is for sure.

Daisy invited me to EDC in 2013. I had never been to a rave and I didn't like house music or big crowds. 

Daisy, why would you think I would have fun there? 

I decided to say yes. I had just graduated college and figured why not treat myself. Little did I know that it would change my life forever. Yes, the music was great and being in Vegas was a blast, but we bonded the weeks leading up to EDC and planning what we would wear and what pool parties we would attend. Even though I felt down at times because my boyfriend at the time decided to be an asshole to me since I decided to go to Vegas without him, it was one of the best trips of my life. It changed me and I realized the friendship I had was a once-in-a-lifetime kind.

I know I'm not the only person who is friends with Daisy and feels like this. She still stays in touch with most of her friends she's grown up with and makes every person in her life feel like they matter and have a place in her life.

She's the type of person that lights up a room when she walks in because she's always smiling, having fun, and making people around her better. She makes people feel happy. I'm lucky enough to call her my best friend and it's the best friendship I've ever had. It's been almost three years since I moved away from Modesto and she still calls me once a week to check on me despite the crazy schedule she has in her life with school, work, and her other relationships. I can see why some people are jealous. I can't imagine a stronger friendship than ours and if I didn't have it, I would want it.

I may not have a lot of people I can call true friends but I'm lucky enough to know that one friendship with Daisy is equivalent to 100 fair weather friendships. I can say without a doubt that no matter where either of us end up, how long we go without talking, and whatever life comes our way, our friendship will always be strong. I could list all the memories I cherish but then I would never stop writing. We can literally be watching tv together and have the time of our lives.

I wish there was a way I could thank her. I don't think she fully comprehends the impact she has on my life and how grateful I am for our friendship. I can't even do her justice by writing this because there is so much I want to say that I don't know how. I just hope that I can be at least half of the friend to her that she is to me. For now, I'll just stick to writing this and hoping she knows she has affected my life deeply and for that I will always be grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday

My Throwback Thursday song for the night is "Get By" by Talib Kweli. This has always been one of my favorite rap songs. Not just because it has a great sound, but the I love the message. For anyone who has struggled for anything, you can relate to this song. Kweli murders his lyrics and the result is an inspirational song.  " This morning, I woke up Feeling brand new, I jumped up Feeling my highs and my lows In my soul and my goals Just to stop smoking and stop drinking I've been thinking, I've got my reasons Just to get by, just to get by Just to get by, just to get by"

Make America Think Again

What happened to the days when you could agree to disagree? When you wanted to be in a room full of people with different opinions so that you could have an intellectual conversation and stimulate the growth of your mind? When everyone didn’t feel the need to say you’re wrong and fire you from their life because you thought differently? Today, people get offended by everything. You can’t say anything without pissing someone off. I would imagine this has always been the case but no one ever spoke up about it. I’ve been surrounded by people with different views my whole life. Been a Democrat, a republican, only to realize I live in the gray. I can’t fit all of my ideals in to one box so I live outside of it. Since I have been on both sides, I see both points of view. I know the argument someone else will make before they even make it. I respect everyone’s opinion. Since we are all entitled to that— our opinion. I’ve researched so many theories, watched a lot of documentaries, spent hou...

Fall Fragrance Wish List

There are so many fragrances I want right now!!! I made a list of my top five and where you can purchase them.  I love these scents more than anything right now and could smell them all day. What would be your top five? 1. Viktor & Rolf 'Flowerbomb'- Sephora, Macy's, Nordstrom 2. Givenchy 'Dahlia Noir'- Sephora, Macy's 3. Gucci 'Guilty'- Sephora, Macy's, Ulta 4. Yves Saint Laurent 'Manifesto'- Macy's, Ulta 5. Jimmy Choo 'Jimmy Choo'- Sephora, Nordstrom, Macy's, Ulta I love all of these perfumes because they smell feminine and seductive. If perfumes could smell seductive, these ones would. All of them have a long-lasting scent, too. The biggest mistake I use to make was to buy tons of perfume from Victoria's Secret, which smells great in the store, but fades within the hour. Paying a higher dollar for one of the five above is well worth it and will last you. You get what you pay for, especially wi...