Skip to main content

A Dark Place


Feeling lonely is one of the worst feelings in the world. Being alone doesn't necessarily mean you're lonely, but when you're alone and lonely, you can get sucked in to the deepest hole of despair. I've felt like a loner most of my life even when I was surrounded by my family and friends but I never realized how much my loved ones helped put a band aid on those feelings. Loneliness is one of the major accelerators of depression. It's not the loneliness itself that causes the depression, but usually there's a trigger and some type of external factor that pushes you in to a downward spiral where you feel so low, you don't think you'll ever make it out alive.

 I'm sure everyone has uttered the phrase "I feel depressed" at one point or another. It's usually an exaggeration of their feelings and they are trying to make a point to people that they are feeling down.

 "Things will get better."

"It could be worse. Be grateful for what you have."

"You just have to stay positive."

"It's just going to take time."

You hear all of these phrases and sometimes even whisper them to yourself at times, but it's hard to listen and put the words in to action.

It's hard to listen when you feel like no one truly understands what you're going through. When people don't know how weak you really feel inside because you have been trying to put on a brave face for so long. When you still try to laugh and smile around people you barely know to prevent them from feeling uncomfortable around your underlying negativity.

 
Depression is feeling tired all the time. Depression is not leaving your house for days at a time.

Depression is not seeing the point in anything anymore.

Depression is feeling hopeless.

Depression feels like getting out of bed in the morning is an Olympic event.

It's not that you don't think you have people that care about you. You know they do and they are out there even if they are a phone call away instead of a walk down the street. But when you're depressed, you choose to see all of the bad. You know that you shouldn't and you should be grateful for what you do have, but being in such a deep hole and not even wanting to try and climb out, that's true depression.

The simplest tasks, like showering, require the most energy, of which you have none.
 
There's no simple answer to make the feeling go away. Usually the best thing is to make sure you still go out. Try and be around people. But what do you do when you have nowhere to go and no one to lend a hand and pull you up when you fall down?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday

My Throwback Thursday song for the night is "Get By" by Talib Kweli. This has always been one of my favorite rap songs. Not just because it has a great sound, but the I love the message. For anyone who has struggled for anything, you can relate to this song. Kweli murders his lyrics and the result is an inspirational song.  " This morning, I woke up Feeling brand new, I jumped up Feeling my highs and my lows In my soul and my goals Just to stop smoking and stop drinking I've been thinking, I've got my reasons Just to get by, just to get by Just to get by, just to get by"

Fall Fragrance Wish List

There are so many fragrances I want right now!!! I made a list of my top five and where you can purchase them.  I love these scents more than anything right now and could smell them all day. What would be your top five? 1. Viktor & Rolf 'Flowerbomb'- Sephora, Macy's, Nordstrom 2. Givenchy 'Dahlia Noir'- Sephora, Macy's 3. Gucci 'Guilty'- Sephora, Macy's, Ulta 4. Yves Saint Laurent 'Manifesto'- Macy's, Ulta 5. Jimmy Choo 'Jimmy Choo'- Sephora, Nordstrom, Macy's, Ulta I love all of these perfumes because they smell feminine and seductive. If perfumes could smell seductive, these ones would. All of them have a long-lasting scent, too. The biggest mistake I use to make was to buy tons of perfume from Victoria's Secret, which smells great in the store, but fades within the hour. Paying a higher dollar for one of the five above is well worth it and will last you. You get what you pay for, especially wi...

Make America Think Again

What happened to the days when you could agree to disagree? When you wanted to be in a room full of people with different opinions so that you could have an intellectual conversation and stimulate the growth of your mind? When everyone didn’t feel the need to say you’re wrong and fire you from their life because you thought differently? Today, people get offended by everything. You can’t say anything without pissing someone off. I would imagine this has always been the case but no one ever spoke up about it. I’ve been surrounded by people with different views my whole life. Been a Democrat, a republican, only to realize I live in the gray. I can’t fit all of my ideals in to one box so I live outside of it. Since I have been on both sides, I see both points of view. I know the argument someone else will make before they even make it. I respect everyone’s opinion. Since we are all entitled to that— our opinion. I’ve researched so many theories, watched a lot of documentaries, spent hou...