Skip to main content

The Anti-Social Media




The amount of people glaring at the screen of their smartphone seems to keep increasing. When we seem to get tired of a particular app, another one comes along to keep your attention on your device instead of on each other.

Has anyone ever thought about the fact that social media is making us more and more antisocial as time goes by?

Think about the last time you were with a group of your friends and how long everyone spent staring at Instagram or sending snaps via Snapchat.

The funny thing is you see people in snaps and partying or having a great time but what you don't see, is the behind-the-scenes footage of everyone going back to looking at their phone as soon as the snap is over.

I'm not trying to preach because I'm just as guilty as the next person. I have to make a conscious effort to not look at my phone if I'm around people. It's just so hard to avoid your phone when you are bored and you know you have it as an option.

I have deleted social media from my phone when I feel like I am wasting too much time looking through meaningless bullshit. Because that's what 95% of social media is. What does someone actually gain from spending time on social media? I'm not talking about people promoting a business or trying to advertise.
I'm talking about all of us average people. There are actually psychological conditions developing because of social media. It is now linked to narcissism and depression. No surprise there.

Everyone is in competition with one another and nothing is what it seems. I'm not saying to delete your accounts and completely cut social media out of your life. I'm simply saying next time you are spending time with your family or friends, put your phone down. Don't miss out on making memories because you are busy trying to capture the moment on your phone and let all of your followers, who you never talk to in real life, know how awesome of a time you're having.

Let's all be more aware of the impact social media has on our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday

My Throwback Thursday song for the night is "Get By" by Talib Kweli. This has always been one of my favorite rap songs. Not just because it has a great sound, but the I love the message. For anyone who has struggled for anything, you can relate to this song. Kweli murders his lyrics and the result is an inspirational song.  " This morning, I woke up Feeling brand new, I jumped up Feeling my highs and my lows In my soul and my goals Just to stop smoking and stop drinking I've been thinking, I've got my reasons Just to get by, just to get by Just to get by, just to get by"

Make America Think Again

What happened to the days when you could agree to disagree? When you wanted to be in a room full of people with different opinions so that you could have an intellectual conversation and stimulate the growth of your mind? When everyone didn’t feel the need to say you’re wrong and fire you from their life because you thought differently? Today, people get offended by everything. You can’t say anything without pissing someone off. I would imagine this has always been the case but no one ever spoke up about it. I’ve been surrounded by people with different views my whole life. Been a Democrat, a republican, only to realize I live in the gray. I can’t fit all of my ideals in to one box so I live outside of it. Since I have been on both sides, I see both points of view. I know the argument someone else will make before they even make it. I respect everyone’s opinion. Since we are all entitled to that— our opinion. I’ve researched so many theories, watched a lot of documentaries, spent hou...

Fall Fragrance Wish List

There are so many fragrances I want right now!!! I made a list of my top five and where you can purchase them.  I love these scents more than anything right now and could smell them all day. What would be your top five? 1. Viktor & Rolf 'Flowerbomb'- Sephora, Macy's, Nordstrom 2. Givenchy 'Dahlia Noir'- Sephora, Macy's 3. Gucci 'Guilty'- Sephora, Macy's, Ulta 4. Yves Saint Laurent 'Manifesto'- Macy's, Ulta 5. Jimmy Choo 'Jimmy Choo'- Sephora, Nordstrom, Macy's, Ulta I love all of these perfumes because they smell feminine and seductive. If perfumes could smell seductive, these ones would. All of them have a long-lasting scent, too. The biggest mistake I use to make was to buy tons of perfume from Victoria's Secret, which smells great in the store, but fades within the hour. Paying a higher dollar for one of the five above is well worth it and will last you. You get what you pay for, especially wi...